Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Work

I haven't been gainfully employed since March 3, 2008, when I resigned from my position as a teacher due to Poor Physical Health. The "job" I have now teaching violin lessons at a small, private music school pays, just barely, for my health insurance. It does not pay for the gas it takes to get to the job and back, nor anything else. I have been relying on my retirement which I took out at the ripe old age of 28 for that, but those funds are now gone.

Needless to say, I have been working on finding work.

My education and experience lends itself to a job as a teacher, however there is an Economy Approved Hiring Freeze for the public education systems of both North and South Carolina.

I've been vigorously pursuing a career in other, entirely unrelated fields, to include clerical, restaurant and retail work - pounding the literal pavement to the point of blisters and searching the virtual world of 9 to 5's on the internet. I technically have (very little) experience in all of the modes of employ listed at the beginning of this paragraph, but that experience was accrued many moons ago whilst I was supplementing student loans through undergrad and grad school.

Thus, the response I've been getting - live, over the phone, in e-mails - has been a bland, scripted, rehearsed statement something along the (exact) lines of this:

"We're reviewing applications, and if your background/education/experience (choose one or more) meet our needs, we'll give you a call for an interview."

In other words - Don't Call Us; We'll Call You.

Bother. Very frustrating.

I'm not even getting the opportunity to get my foot in the door so I can put my foot in my mouth at the interview. I feel like my background/education/experience is actually working against me. The job my resume fits isn't available, and the jobs that are available don't want me.

And I need to be wanted and hired - Pronto.

PLEASE somebody want me!

I promise I'll be good.

P.S. - I did get an interview at Olive Garden - I made it to the semi-finals, but then they cut me, so a pox (which thefreedictionary.com defines as both the archaic "misfortune and calamity" and "a disease in which pus-filled blisters or pimples form on the skin") on them for being bastards and not hiring me.

No comments: