Thursday, February 19, 2009

Houston, We Have A Problem

Warning: Extended Complaining about to occur.

Last night Seroquel 50mg did not help me go to sleep. Up. All. Night. Again.

I feel like shit today, like I'm coming down with a cold. Again. I've been feeling this way back and forth to varying degrees for a little over two weeks, ever since I had a cold at the beginning of the month.

I tried a half tablet of the Florinef yesterday after the previous trial that lasted all of one day before I freaked out about side effects, but I don't know that half a tablet in the morning could have caused insomnia later that night. It didn't cause an insomnia problem when I tried it the first time - I don't think? I've been on so many different medications at so many different times that I can't keep the shit straight anymore.

I'm wondering if it's the Lamictal, which would be just great because it has been really working for the Awful Depression From Hell I had a couple months ago. I think it may be contributing to some anxiety as well. This is most unfortunate because Dr. Psychiatrist ordered that I actually increase the dosage up to double when we met yesterday. If the Lamictal is indeed contributing to anxiety and causing insomnia, I'm in for a rough ride.

In any case, I'm enacting Florinef Reject #2, just in case. I think I need to start a policy of starting one med at a time so I can be sure about which side effects belong to which.

I'm peeing all day. pee. pee. pee. I have a couple medium sized cups of Gatorade (the official drink of POTS) and I've been back and forth several more times than I would think is normal to pee.

TMI? I will not apologize!

I talk a lot more about mental illness than I do about Dysautonomia/POTS on this blog, but both are shit. hell. damnation. I had to stop working as a teacher primarily because of POTS - after months of feeling tired all the time, catching cold after cold after cold, I woke up one morning feeling terrible, later wound up in the ER with a temperature of 103 and a heart rate in the 180's. It went downhill from there, and I ended up writing out a resignation on March 3 of 2007 because I was simply too tired to teach. I went to the emergency room again a short time later, was referred to a cardiologist. Getting a diagnosis took a long time, was VERY confusing, was terrifying. I didn't trust doctors, I didn't think I was ever going to get it figured out.

I still haven't completely, and I still don't trust doctors. I haven't been in the ER again, which is a blessing, but I am tired all of the time and if we gave my prior activity level a 100%, my activity level at this point is more at a 10% or lower. I don't get to do a lot of the things I want to do. My mind moves forward, but my body won't follow.

It is frustrating and infuriating, especially when I think of what I've lost and wonder what I might lose in the future, wonder if I will ever get better.

I called into Dr. Psychiatrist today about the sleep issue and he increased the Seroquel to 100mg. Please, I hope it works.

For information about Dysautonomia/POTS, this is a great resource: Dysautonomia Information Network

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Question - how high is your Lamictal dose and how often do you take it? I mean, do they make you split it up once or twice a day or do you take it all at one time? I dont' believe Lamictal is supposed to cause insomnia and i never had any problems with it that way.

Amber said...

Hi Amanda,

I've titrated the Lamictal dose up to 100mg in the morning over the past four weeks.

Dr. Psychiatrist wants me to start with 25mg in the evening and eventually titrate that up to 100mg, so that eventually I would be up to 200mg - 100 mg twice each day.

Apparently at 100mg there's mostly anti-depressant effects and mood stabilizer effects come in at 200mg. Some people over at crazymeds.us have talked about insomnia from Lamictal, also some hypomania type stuff.

p.s. - I've got a book review, but've been procrastinating, even though it's going to be my shortest book review ever when I post it.

Amanda said...

I was put on 300mg of Lamictal, and my doctor several years later (different doctor than the one that put me at that level) told me that most people with bipolar disorder are around 100 to 150 a day, but that 300 was unheard of. that was a level for seizures. The high level caused my headaches and stomachaches for years and I didn't know it, thinking it was a hormonal problem. Lamictal gets weird when it gets too high apparently.

No worries on the book reviews. These days I'm reading a book a day and sort of living outside reality, which makes for a lot of reviews. Bleagh.