Sunday, March 30, 2008

"Si, La Nausea"....Bon Appetit!?


There is an episode of my favorite King of the Hill wherein Peggy Hill, because of her bilingual abilities (if you watch the show you're smiling), is hired by Alamo beer company to field phone calls coming in from Mexico in response to the tainted beer that Alamo sent to Mexico rather than to their American market. Peggy answers the phone and records the complaints from beer drinkers below the border:

"Si, la nausea...si, la diarrhea...si, la vomito."

On and on, endlessly for days, Peggy records the same complaints from desperate, innocent beer drinkers who have been burned by their loyalty to Alamo. Until, that is, Peggy decides to do something about it.

"Ho, yeah!"

I give a brief summary of this episode because it mimics the experience I have had since starting Cymbalta: complete and total loss of appetite, nausea, diarrhea. My stomach growls, I am weak, so I know my body needs food, but I'm not able to force myself to eat. The thought of food makes me sick. And what I do consume - maybe a biscuit here or a piece of cheese there - I quickly dispense, and NOT in a lady-like fashion at all.

Urgh.

But Peggy, with her self-assurance and enthusiasm, isn't here to save the day. :(

So I'm going to have to figure something out myself. If this keeps going, I think that I'm going to have to abort the Cymbalta trial; it has turned into an error.

No comments: