Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Pick a Problem, Any Problem

Peter picked a peck of potential problems.

So, today, I woke up nauseated, weak, and with the accelerated heart rate again. Heart rate wasn't so bad as it's been before, I don't think, but it's a lousy way to start the day, I tell ya.

I had some breakfast and started feeling better, so much so that I decided to drive mom to her appointments today so that I could have use of my car if I wanted to do an errand.

I decided to go over to Jing Jing's and get some fried rice. My Big Mistake was getting a Dr. Pepper with my meal. I'm not supposed to have caffeine because of the reflux, but I haven't had any, I mean any caffeine in a good long while, so I thought I could maybe have some. I love Dr. Peppers, especially around pre-menstrual time.

Ultimately, I don't think the caffeine was the problem so much as the sugar.

Immediately after eating, I had an upset stomach (nothing new), and very soon after, I started feeling sick, weak, shaky. I had to go pick up mom, and by the time I got there, I felt worse, to the point that I found it difficult to even speak. I was so weak, shaky, nauseated. I could barely muster up one-word answers to mom's questions. I came home and rested, and eventually felt better.

I felt the same way the last time I had any substantial amount of sugar - some ice cream.

Ugh, I felt so bad.

So, of course, as I've been doing almost constantly lately, I did some research online (research = Google...very sound, academic research, no?) and got some information about hypoglycemia and adrenal fatigue, both of which sound pretty familiar to my predicament, especially adrenal fatigue, seeing as how it includes hypoglycemia, as well as chronic fatigue syndrome, which has been a concern of mine.

I've come up with a list of symptoms, medicines, prior medical history and requests for testing (hypoglycemia, adrenal fatigue, low thyroid function, hormone imbalance, etc.) to give to my primary care provider when I see her on Thursday. I want to find out, if I can, what is going on and treat it, instead of treating symptoms.

Not that I'm not grateful for my beta blocker and Ativan.

No comments: